Re: Quirking acpi_enforce_resources

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 05:15:26PM -0500, Chase Douglas wrote:

> I understand your points, but from the user's perspective they had
> something that worked perfectly fine before, and now it doesn't. Have
> there been any reports of anyone's hardware being adversely affected by
> doubly acquiring the acpi region? Beyond that, have there been any
> reports of any adverse affects of any kind?

I really don't understand your position here. Like I said, the
probability of a collision between ACPI and the OS is low. On the other
hand, the potential outcome of such a collision is hardware damage. This
isn't even close to being something that should be considered.

> I'm not advocating for enabling acpi_enforce_resources=lax across the
> board. That would be foolish, especially since there is an existing acpi
> driver that would be harmed. However, a whitelist of known-working
> hardware would allow us to cater to users needs while still being fairly
> careful.

How are you defining "known-working"? You've verified that the system
management code on the hardware in question makes no accesses to the
smbus?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx