Re: AER/hotplug _OSC wierdness?

Robert Hancock wrote:
I've been looking into why I get these messages on bootup on an Asus P7P55D PRO motherboard:

Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control
aer 0000:00:03.0:pcie02: AER service couldn't init device: no _OSC support
pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control

The AML code for _OSC in the DSDT (below) is almost identical to the example code in the ACPI spec. From looking at the _OSC method, I don't see why it should reject any requests for PCI Express hotplug or AER control.

I can't quite make sense of the ACPI code that is supposed to handle this. When the AER driver calls acpi_pci_osc_control_set, it first does this:

    /* Need to query controls first before requesting them */
    if (!root->osc_queried) {
        status = acpi_pci_query_osc(root, root->osc_support_set);
        if (ACPI_FAILURE(status))
            goto out;
    }

Just in case, does removing this 'if' statement fix the problem?

    if ((root->osc_control_qry & control_req) != control_req) {
        printk(KERN_DEBUG
               "Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control\n");
        status = AE_SUPPORT;
        goto out;
    }

Inside acpi_pci_query_osc:

    /* do _OSC query for all possible controls */
    support_set = root->osc_support_set | (flags & OSC_SUPPORT_MASKS);
    capbuf[OSC_QUERY_TYPE] = OSC_QUERY_ENABLE;
    capbuf[OSC_SUPPORT_TYPE] = support_set;
    capbuf[OSC_CONTROL_TYPE] = OSC_CONTROL_MASKS;

    status = acpi_pci_run_osc(root->device->handle, capbuf, &result);
    if (ACPI_SUCCESS(status)) {
        root->osc_support_set = support_set;
        root->osc_control_qry = result;
        root->osc_queried = 1;
    }

The comment says "do _OSC query for all possible controls", but it doesn't look like that's what the code is actually doing. The first time this gets called, assuming osc_support_set is 0, it looks like support_set passed into _OSC will also be 0. Then osc_queried would be set to 1, _OSC would never get called again and the cached query result is based on 0 support flags being passed into _OSC, which is wrong. Or am I missing something?

Though I might be missing something, I think _OSC is evaluated
and osc_control_qry is updated, whenever acpi_pci_osc_support()
gets called.

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige