Re: eeepc-laptop: bugreport

Hi,

from Documentation/rfkill.txt:

 1. Introduction

 The rfkill subsystem provides a generic interface to disabling any radio
 transmitter in the system. When a transmitter is blocked, it shall not
 radiate any power.

 The subsystem also provides the ability to react on button presses and
 disable all transmitters of a certain type (or all). This is intended for
 situations where transmitters need to be turned off, for example on
 aircraft.

 The rfkill subsystem has a concept of "hard" and "soft" block, which
 differ little in their meaning (block == transmitters off) but rather in
 whether they can be changed or not:
  - hard block: read-only radio block that cannot be overriden by software
  - soft block: writable radio block (need not be readable) that is set by
                the system software.

The eepc-latop-rfkill should be hard block. If the LED is not on,
my wlan-card won't transmit. The eeepc-laptop is only driver
which use hotplug-subsystem to hide the hardware.
It work only until next pci-rescan.
Firmware must not tell you, where the wlan-card is,
it should only provide hard-rfkill (on 1005ha it does).
Or the wlan-driver should provide proper rfkill
(at least soft block).
The hardcoded bus and slot it not proper solution.

For example in miniPCI-pinout pin 13 is "RF Silent input",
also the firmware shuld only set the pin.
http://www.interfacebus.com/MiniPCI_Pinout_124Pin.html

Matthew Garrett writes:

That's because the eee firmware gives us no control over which device is unplugged. I think you're missing the point of how the eee rfkill code works - we don't unplug any devices, the firmware does that. We then need to tell Linux that the PCI device has vanished in order to prevent drivers from attempting to use a piece of hardware that's no longer accessible.

eeepc firmware does not unplug device, it set only a rfkill-pin,
so the wlan-card know, that it should not transmit any more.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,
Andrej