Re: acpi_idle_enter_bm & mwait_idle

Those functions are called when there is nothing to do for the processor.
Is it possible that your system is doing disk accesses when the
slowdown happens?

Corrado

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Oleksiy Protas<elfy.ua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am sorry for bugging you guys here, but I've got a question and I think it
> best fits here. I have an Acer laptop, namely TravelMate 5320 with a Linux OS
> (uname -a gives: Linux seagull 2.6.30-gentoo-r4 #4 Sat Aug 15 01:29:44 EEST
> 2009 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux). What
> I'm observing are regular streak of system unreponsiveness. Performance
> monitors show an activity of  high-nice processes during these periods.
> OProfile gives ~24% time eaten by apci_idle_enter_bm() with ACPI enabled and
> 35% time by mwait_idle() with acpi=off, regardless of streak presence or just
> smooth operating time. My question is how can I debug more indepth to see
> what's happening and what the named functions do so I can or can't blame them
> for unusable system. Thanks in advance.
> --
> Oleksiy Protas
> National University «Kyiv-Mohyla Academy»
> Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Ukraine
> This message is signed. You can obtain a public key to verify it here:
> http://minsky.surfnet.nl:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x81B636D4F015B7EC

dott. Corrado Zoccolo                          mailto:czoccolo@xxxxxxxxx
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy