Re: why do drivers evaluate _INI?

Hi

> Why do we have ACPI device drivers evaluating _INI?  That seems
> like something that should be done by Linux/ACPI, not by the driver.
>
> I see the following drivers using _INI:
>   drivers/hwmon/hp_accel.c
>   drivers/platform/x86/fujitsu-laptop.c
>   drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.c
>
> I looked at the git logs where the _INI usage was introduced in
> these drivers, but none gives enough information for me to understand
> why.

I can't shed a lot of light on this from the point of view of
fujitsu-laptop.

It appears that the evaluation of _INI was added to fujitsu-laptop as part
of the patch which added support for hotkeys present on some Fujitsu
laptops.  This patch was contributed by Peter Gruber - I've added him to the
CC.  Perhaps he might explain why he added _INI evaluation as part of this
patch (that is, what problem was encountered which required evaluation of
_INI).

Regards
  jonathan