Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] why do we need run disk sync before entering S3

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > I generally agree, but I think we may also leave the syncing to the user space,
> > > in both cases.
> >
> > Well...
> >
> > Normally kernel writes dirty data to disk each 30
> > seconds. s2ram/s2disk breaks that promise, so it seems fair to add
> > explicit sync to keep the "promise".
> >
> > OTOH, I agree it would be more flexible if we left sync to
> > userspace. In uswsusp case, it actually makes sense. In s2ram
> > case... if we can do it while keeping compatibility with old
> > behaviour... why not.
>
> That really depends on the distrubution.  (open)SUSE always syncs before
> suspend/hibernation AFAICS, but I don't know about the other distros.

This doesn't address the real question: Should the system be allowed to
go into S3 without doing a sync first?

Whether the sync is initiated by userspace or by the kernel doesn't
make any difference.  Likewise, it doesn't matter if there are two
syncs (because the second will be very fast, as Pavel said).

If you really wanted to speed up the suspend transition then you would
leave out the sync entirely.  But IMO this would be a mistake; the risk
of data loss is too great.  Which means the time overhead is necessary,
one way or another.  If userspace does a sync first then the suspend
transition will be faster, but this is just an accounting artifact (do
you count the time required for the sync toward the time required for
the suspend or not).

Alan Stern