Re: experimental patch for toshiba_acpi

On 28 февраля 2009 00:31:59 Charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Andrey--
>
> > >This patch comes from
> > > http://memebeam.org/free-software/toshiba_acpi/. With this patch,
> > > the module conflicts with the toshiba module (which works only on
> > > non-acpi-enabled kernels).
> >
> > Could you please elaborate? Because (Portege 4000):
> >
> > {pts/2}% lsmod | grep tosh
> > toshiba                 4012  0
> > toshiba_acpi            7540  0
> > rfkill                 10480  1 toshiba_acpi
> > backlight               4560  2 toshiba_acpi,video
> > input_polldev           4012  1 toshiba_acpi
> > {pts/2}% sudo fan
> > Fan is on.
>
> My understanding is that with the experimental patch, both toshiba
> and toshiba_acpi use /dev/toshiba. Do you have the experimental patch
> applied? Does fan work if you remove the toshiba module?

May be I misunderstood you then; do you mean that *if* this patch is
applied module toshiba works on non-ACPI kernels only? That would be the
case then.

But then I do not understand why you need this in toshiba_acpi in the
first place. We already have in-kernel module (toshiba) that provides
raw user space HCI access to those who need it. Why is it necessary to
duplicate this functionality in toshiba_acpi in the first place?