Re: Fan running continuously after kernel switch

> The thinkpad-acpi driver exports an interface that can be used to control
> the fan, but you do it on your own risk, and you have to EXPLICLTY opt-in by
> giving it the fan_control=1 parameter.
Yes, I read about that option, but I'd rather like to avoid it..

> What can help is for you to tell us the temperatures that thinkpad-acpi
> report.  If any of them is above 43C, the fan will be left on continuously
> by the EC.
Here's the temperatures:

cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal
temperatures:	43 37 35 45 50 -128 29 -128 37 46 43 -128 -128 -128 -128
-128

However, there's obviously a bit more to this.

a) when I load the coretemp module and try to read the temperature via
lm-sensors, I get two values around 60 °C, while thinkpad-acpi shows the
above. Same applies to the standard ACPI thermal interface. I have a
total of 13 different thermal measurements.. :-)

b) the really weird part: when I remove the power supply and let the
laptop run on battery, the fan immediately stops! Some minutes later, it
starts again, but I'm pretty sure that the temperatures are not the only
factor here. When I plug the power cord back in after some minutes, the
fan stops again..

Yours, Florian
--
0666 - Filemode of the Beast