Re: suspend/resume fails on second attempt in LNXVIDEO:00

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:02:43 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> You can try to use the s2ram binary (http://en.opensuse.org/s2ram) to
> work around this issue.

OK.  I've done my s2ram experiments and go no better than with pm-utils/
kernel mode suspend (where first suspend/resume works, second suspend
works, but second resume hangs the machine).  Here's the full array of
suggestions on http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram and their results:

s2ram -f -a 3
 - hung on first resume

s2ram -f -a 2
 - restored first resume but no backlight
s2ram -f -a 1
 - hung on first resume

s2ram -f -p -m
 - resumed first time but console font changed
 - hung on second resume

s2ram -f -p -s
 - resumed first time but console font changed
 - hung on second resume

s2ram -f -m
 - restored first resume but no backlight

s2ram -f -s
 - resumed first time but console font changed
    - message "Function not supported?\nSwitching back to vt1"
 - hung on second resume

s2ram -f -p
 - resumed first time but console font changed
 - hung on second resume

s2ram -f -a 2 -m
 - restored first resume but no backlight

s2ram -f -a 2 -s
 - resumed first time but console font changed
    - message "Function not supported?\nSwitching back to vt1"

These were always booting with init=/bin/bash and removing all removable
(i.e. unreferenced) modules.

Where I mention "console font changed" that means it reverted back to the
font that it was in when it was booting the kernel.  You see, Ubuntu, at
some point through boot actually change the font to be a "leaner" (i.e.
not so "fat") font.  This is not to say that I am running on the console
in a framebuffer (to the best of my knowledge).  I believe this font
setting is being done with a "/usr/bin/consolechars" tool.

Anyway, thanx much for continuing to look into this.

Cheers,
b.