Re: [patch][rfc] acpi: do not use kmem caches

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 05:14:36PM +0300, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote:

> >>It is not "kind of a bugfix". Caches were used to allocate all frequenly
> >>created objects of fixed size. Removing native cache interface will
> >>increase memory consumption and increase code size, and will make it
> >>harder
> >>to spot actual memory leaks.
> >>

> >Slabs can take a non-trivial amount of memory. On bigger machines it can
> >be many megabytes. On smaller machines perhaps not, but what is the
> >benefit??
> >The only ACPI slabs I have with anything in them total a couple of hundred
> >kB, and anyway they are 64 and 32 bytes so they will pack exactly into
> >kmalloc slabs.
> >
> Oh right, we don't care about memory footprint any longer...

On the contrary
http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=122812043206762&w=2

Some people still do. I'm hoping to save memory. With my configuration, the
patch definitely saves memory.

> >Code size... Does it matter? Is it really performance critical? If you are
> >worried about code size, then I will implement them directly with kmalloc
> >and kfree for you.
> >
> Why then you try to delete ACPICA code, which might be just disabled by
> undefining ACPI_USE_LOCAL_CACHE?
> If you do want to go that path, you need to create patch against ACPICA, not
> Linux code.

I don't know what else uses ACPICA, so no.

> >kmem caches are not exactly an appropriate tool to detect memory leaks. If
> >that were the case then we'd have million kmem caches everywhere.

> >>No. acpi_os_purge_cache wants to free only unused objects, so it is a
> >>direct map to
> >>

> >Ah OK I misread, that's the cache's freelist... ACPI shouldn't be poking
> >this button inside the slab allocator anyway, honestly. What is it
> >for?
> >
> And it is not actually used -- you cannot unload ACPI interpreter, and
> this function is called only from there.

Should be deleted anyway. This seems to be the only user of kmem_cache_shrink
in the kernel and it's bogus anyway.

> >Is there a reasonable performance or memory win by using kmem cache? If
> >not, then they should not be used
> ACPI is still working in machines with several megabytes of RAM and
> 100mhz Pentium processors. Do you say we should just not consider them
> any longer?

No. As I said, I am trying to save RAM. If it turns out not to save RAM
in some configurations then of course I will reconsider.

> If so, then just delete all ACPICA caches altogether.
> And this still needs to be patch against ACPICA, not Linux -- at least
> with BSD license attached.

I don't have a problem with that.