Re: [intel/acpi] backlight - T61

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 11:18 +0800, Len Brown wrote:

> > IMO, after loading i915 driver, the ACPI backlight I/F can work again,
> > right?
>
> No.
> hotkeys have never worked in console mode,
that's bad. We should try to work this out.
len, can you please send me the acpidump output of your x60?

> but in 2.6.27, echo into /proc and /sys did work in console mode
> and in 2.6.28 they do not.  So this is a regression.
>
> > If this is true, why not always loading i915 both in X and console mode?
> > the kernel mode setting should not only work for X mode.
>
> I agree that the i915 driver should handle brightness, no matter if we
> are in GUI mode or console mode.  Unfortunately, today it
> doesn't seem to do anything in console mode.
>
> That is why I pointed out that the regression here was
> when we deleted the /proc and /sys nodes that actualy work
> from console mode...
>
> On a brightner note, I'm pleased to report that after upgrading
> my T61 to FC10 from FC9, the brightness suddenly became consistent
> across screen saver events.  ie. the brightness I set via hotkey
> before the screen saver event was restored after the screen
> comes back from screen blank.
>
> However, testing FC10 with the latest upstream kernel,
> including the i915 changes that appeared today...
> it seems that GUI mode forgets the brighness when
> I switch to console mode.  Eg. If I use /sys or
> hotkeys in GUI mode to reduce brightness to 0,
> it stays dim when I switch to console mode,
> but switches back to max brightness when
> I switch back to GUI mode.
hah, that's a done by X.
ZhenYu pointed out that the graphics driver will set the backlight to
maximum if it is 0 when switching to GUI.
what if reducing the brightness to a lower but not 0 level?
it should switch back to the original value, right?
cc ZhenYU. :)

thanks,
rui