Re: New battery doesn't work under linux, but does under windows

Eric Atkin wrote:
On Wednesday 15 October 2008 2:16:15 pm you wrote:
Eric Atkin wrote:
So I bought a new battery for my laptop and installed it. I booted into
Linux (gentoo) and kpowersave recognized the new battery and for the next
few hours showed it charging up. The guy at the battery store said I
should charge it fully and then discharge fully to calibrate, so, once
full, i disconnected AC power and continued to work. kpowersave recognize
that power had been removed and showed the battery discharging at a
normal rate. After about 1 minute, my laptop just shut off. No warnings
or attempts to suspend or hibernate or anything. Power was just cut off.
I tested several times and always got the same result. I assumed it was a
bad battery, but then I had to boot into windows for something and
decided to try it there. In windows, I waited till the charge was at 100%
then disconnected AC and let it run. It ran for about two hours as
expected before dying. But if I boot back into linux, it dies again after
just a minute or two. I don't even know where to begin. Any ideas? $170
battery that I can't take back because it does actually work, and anyway,
it seems to be a software issue.
Eric
First, you should tell us your kernel version and loaded battery module
(battery.ko or sbs.ko)
Second, please do a "grep . /proc/acpi/battery/*/*" with attached AC
and try to do this with it disconnected.
It might be a good idea to open a new bug report in bugzilla.kernel.org
for ACPI/battery and assign it to
astarikovskiy@xxxxxxx (me).

Regards,
Alex.

Alex,
Thank you for your time. See the things you've requested below. I'm still waiting for my password to log into bugzilla. I'll create that when I can. I've not used a mailing list like this before. Should I have sent this response to the list?
Yes, it is better to have it stored somewhere beside my inbox :)
So if did not go to bugzilla yet, keep it posted in the list.
Eric

--

I'm using 'battery' and _not_ 'sbs' and it is built into the kernel rather than a loadable module. I don't really know the difference between the two modules and I would be happy to compile and test with sbs if you think that is relevant.

eris linux # uname -a
Linux eris 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 12 20:19:52 MDT 2008 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

With AC:
eris linux # grep . /proc/acpi/battery/*/*
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/alarm:alarm:                   unsupported
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:present:                 yes
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:design capacity:         53280 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:last full capacity:      50430 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:battery technology:      non-rechargeable
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:design voltage:          123160 mV
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:design capacity warning: 1000 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:design capacity low:     400 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:capacity granularity 1:  100 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:capacity granularity 2:  100 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:model number:
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:serial number:
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:battery type:            LiOn
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info:OEM info:                Sony Corp.
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:present:                 yes
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:capacity state:          ok
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:charging state:          charging
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:present rate:            unknown
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:remaining capacity:      50430 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:present voltage:         unknown

On battery:
[...]
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:charging state:          discharging
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:present rate:            unknown
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:remaining capacity:      50430 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state:present voltage:         unknown
Ok, I think the problem is "unknown" discharge rate and voltage in the state. kpowersave might be stupid enough to try to approximate remaining time (impossible with two unknowns) and shutdown... Please check if killing kpowersave (or, better, running in single user mode) helps.
Also, attach an acpidump output (better to bugzilla report).

Regards,
Alex