Re: Is rfkill class really appropriate for eeepc-laptop?

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:49:53PM +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>

>> I was wrong to say that rfkill support was already in mainline.  But it
>> is introduced by Matthew's patch "eeepc-laptop: Use standard
>> interfaces", as posted and reviewed on the linux-acpi list.  I think
>> this is a bad idea.  Surely the whole point of rfkill is to let
>> NetworkManager do power management *without* having to do different
>> things for different laptops?
>>

> No, it's to use allow the OS to control whatever mechanism the platform
> provides for making the radio stop transmitting. The fact that this is,
> uh, "interestingly" implemented on the Eee doesn't alter that.

So rfkill should be allowed to mean "entire PCI device goes away,
network interface will vanish" - just so long as it comes back correctly
when re-enabled :-).

>  We should just sort out the hotplug code...

Ok.  I have a little knowledge, I'll see if I can be dangerous.  My real
question was, is it safe to merge your rfkill support before this is
sorted out?

Thanks
Alan