Re: [RFC] [Patch 0/4] ACPI : several patches for EC

Zhao Yakui wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:05 +0400, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
Zhao Yakui wrote:
But I think that the spin_lock is overkill in the updated patch.
Assuming that 1000 EC transactions are done per second, the CPU
interrupt is disabled for 1ms. It is important that the normal laptops
will be affected by this.
How do you arrive with these numbers? Where do you get this 1ms?
Spinlock is around single inb/outb instruction plus several even simpler
instructions. Do you claim it is going to take 1us? Do you claim that it will
It is noted that inb/outb instruction is not memory read/write
operation. It will take some time to read/write the external peripheral
device.
For example: On intel platform : The EC is connected with ICH device through LPC bus.
For every LCP I/O read/write operation, it will take almost 0.7us.

When OS reads the SBS battery info, there will a lot of SCI interrupts,
most of which are related with EC transaction.
You seem to forget, that SBS driver is also written by me... Don't
explain to me how it works. Thanks.
add anything to interrupts-disabled time of ACPI SCI interrupt handler
itself?
Not included.

Why not explain the following ? The local function variable resides on
the process stack space. If the process that is doing EC transaction is
killed before it is finished, what will happen? Maybe the system will be
kernel panic.
Ever tried to kill process, which entered syscall (e.g. in kernel)?
Please read some books first.
I only want to know why you raise the following commit?
    >commit 9e197219605513c14d3eae41039ecf1b82d1920d
    >Author: Alexey Starikovskiy <alexey.y.starikovskiy@xxxxxxxxx>
    > Date:   Wed Mar 7 18:29:35 2007 -0500
      >ACPI: ec: fix race in status register access
If your understanding is correct, why push it?
   Why give two different explanations about the same issue?
At the same time please confirm whether the laptop of bug 8110 is broken
again by your patch if the GPE storm happens ?
I just explained everything in the above mail. If you don't understand --
this is not my problem, but _yours_. I am not going to explain same things
to you several times.

My patch does not break machine in bug report 8110.