Toggling VGA out on Eee 901

Dear Experts,

I'm trying to work out how to get console video out toggling working on my ASUS EEE 901 (running Debian). I get the feeling that I may be the first person to try to do this, and I knew almost nothing about ACPI until a couple of hours ago. Can anyone help?

Output toggling for X works fine, but that doesn't use ACPI. If the machine is booted with an external monitor connected, console VGA out is enabled; if the monitor is not connected it's not enabled. Looking in /proc/acpi/video/VGA/CRTD/state I see

state: 0x1f
query: 0x01

when the machine was booted with the monitor connected and

state: 0x0d
query: 0x00

when the machine was booted without the monitor. Following the advice of an old ACPI HOWTO I tried to store 0x80000001 in that file:

# /bin/echo 0x80000001 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/CRTD/state
/bin/echo: write error: Bad address

I had a look at my iasl-disassembled /proc/dsdt and found this:

Device (VGA)
{
    Name (DONE, Zero)

    Device (CRTD)
    {
        Method (_DSS, 1, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (And (Arg0, 0x40000000))
            {
                If (And (Arg0, 0x80000000))
                {
                    Store (One, DONE)
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

I have never looked at this stuff before, but I don't get the impression that it's actually going to do anything to the hardware registers, is it? Am I looking in the wrong place? Based on that I did try to store 0xC0000000 and 0xC0000001, and in this case there was no "Bad address" error - but no output change either.

I have put the complete dsdt.dsl here: http://chezphil.org/tmp/eee_901_dsdt.dsl

Many thanks,  Phil.

(Please cc: me in any replies)