Re: a problem about the two patches in bug 10724 & 11428

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 00:59 +0400, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> > Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >>
> >> Right now, the fact that it gives up on interrupt mode too easily IS
> >> causing
> >> regressions on ThinkPads (like the T43 I own).  Since polling mode does
> >> work, it is just a performance regression, so you won't get many reports
> >> about it since most people don't look for such stuff in their kernel
> >> logs.
> >>
> >> Some ECs trigger the interrupt/poll-mode checks just on small windows
> >> (typically during resume -- might even be a bug somewhere in ACPICA or
> >> Linux, and not on the EC).  We should not be giving up using interrupt
> >> mode
> >> on these so easily.  Maybe retry enabling interrupt mode after some
> >> seconds
> >> a few times (like 3 or 5)?  If it is a transient problem, that will avoid
> >> the permanent performance regression of polled mode.
> >>
> > How about such patch?
> Or even better (working?) patch ...

The patch looks reasonable. But there is a little problem.
The EC_FLAGS_NO_GPE bit of ec->flags is set when timeout happens.(The EC_FLAGS_GPE_MODE bit is clear)
Maybe in such case the EC_FLAGS_GPE_MODE bit can't be set again when EC GPE interrupt is triggered again.

Thanks.
   Yakui