RE: ACPICA patch set, release 20080701 & 20080729

The Linux kernel has this concept of merging windows. After a major
release
there is a 2 week merging window where all the features go in. The merge
window closes with -rc1. After -rc1 some features can still go in, but
in
general larger merges are frowned upon (as in Linus often yells at the
submitter) The focus is definitely on bug fixes post -rc1. Also
there seem to be unfortunately quite a lot of ACPI regressions this
cycle,
so I have to be especially conservative.

A full 2 cycle ACPICA merge would be likely too much
of a merge.  Also we need some testing time for major ACPICA changes
in -mm/linux-next anyways.

I'm open for relatively clear bug fixes and unlikely to break anything
cleanups though to push in for .27. E.g. the pathname fixes would be
obvious candidates. Since you know the various patches better than me
it makes sense for you to preselect.

I can pull full ACPICA into the test tree of course (assuming
it applies). Will do that tomorrow. But test is beyond .27.

-Andi