Re: Sony Vaio SZ61MN - no fanspeed control

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:08:53PM +0200, Sebastian Pohl wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> In the process of havin multiple issues with acpi and drivers on my Sony
> laptop i stepped into another. The internal fan is always running at a
> fixed speed. If theres much CPU load it also speeds up. But i have no

the fan is controlled by the bios on most (all those that I know of)
vaios.

> way to alter the speed. It always changes back to some sort of default
> value. Are there other ways to change the fanspeed than spicctrl with
> the sonypi module or direct echoing to the fan files made by the acpi
> stuff?

the bios doesn't expose any fancontrol feature, with sonypi or
sony-laptop you can use spicctrl or, with sony-laptop only,
/sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/fanspeed to increase the fan speed for
a while but the bios usually brings it back to the required speed.

> This could be dangerous for the hardware as it seems like it doesnt
> speed up to the highest level so the laptop gets very hot. Also it
> negatively affects the battery uptime.

does the laptop shuts down because of overheating?
What temperature reading do you get from the acpi thermal zones?

cheers
--
mattia
:wq!