Re: [RFC] Allow notifications on method execution

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 07:01:20PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Sounds like a good idea, but in order to do that, we just need to let
> > kernel drivers hook to GPE handlers somehow.  I'd be quite happy to add
> > support for it to thinkpad-acpi.
>
> I expected that the method name would probably be more consistent,
> whereas the GPE number might change in a way that was difficult to hook.
> There's only three CMOS update methods in the range of Thinkpad BIOSes,
> IIRC?

True.  Well, both would work, and I'd have to add this as a whitelist
anyway (which is NOT a problem, as we are talking about old thinkpads
anyway, and there is a finite, non-extremely-huge number of those).

It works marginally better if one traps the GPE, as that looks a lot
more like what one gets in a modern thinkpad instead of what one gets
from the NVRAM (look at the nvram polling code in thinkpad-acpi to
understand what I mean.  Some not so pretty crap was required in there
due to deal with loss of information in the VOLUME/MUTE handling...)

Hotfixing the AML would also allow one to do all of this and more (maybe
hell will freeze over and Len will let us do it :-) ).

Anyway, if we add notifications for normal nodes, please add them for
GPEs too.

  Henrique Holschuh