Re: ACPI on Compaq 6715b - BIOS from the wrong end of the planet

Thomas Renninger wrote:
On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 10:06 +0100, Richard wrote:
Hi all,

Pardon for the intrusion, I am trying to fault find a horrible wrong ACPI interface and fix it.

the problem is as follows... Kernel 2.6.23 works fine, except there is no stable clocksource.. acpi_pm, tsc doesnt work and jiffies .. well thats just jiffies. The kernel boots but time sources are erratic and this results in an unstable clock (Mp3's play at erratic speeds)

Kernel 2.6.25 hangs the system if I enable ACPI Timer and rebuild/boot the new linux kernel. The only clock sources are tsc and jiffies and TSC is disables due to being erratic. If I totally disable ACPI, the kernel boots and works with stable clocks.. but obviously Power management is gone.

The system is an ATI bridged AMD Sempron notebook. I have tried Millions of options in the kernel bootup and none seem to do clear the problem. This system seems to suffer from the Clocks fast bug. (the dmesg reports that the 8254 clock is disables, IO-APIC int0 fails and IO-APIC Vritual wire is OK.. if that means anything :D)

Any pointers.. and if anyone wants the AML/ACPI stuff, please feel free to shout.
Does:
disable_timer_pin_1
or
noapictimer
work?

   Thomas

Thanks a Million..
noapictimer works perfectly ... BUT .. only on 64Bit. acpi_pm is not present on 32bit as a clocksource and it defaulted to jiffies. (tsc was marked as imreliable)

I am really surprised that this Sempron notebook actually had 64Bit CPU compatibility :D

Richard