Re: Hardlock during boot on Supermicro C2SBA BIOS v1.1

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:41 +0100, lists_acpi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently upgraded the BIOS to v1.1 on my Supermicro C2SBA and found
> that the system would hardlock on boot.  The last message printed on the
> screen was:
>
>     tbxface-0587 [00] tb_load_namespace : ACPI Tables successfully acquired
>From another machine with 2.6.22 kernel:
 tbxface-0587 [00] tb_load_namespace     : ACPI Tables successfully acquired
evxfevnt-0091 [00] enable                : Transition to ACPI mode successful
If your machine really freezes when switching to ACPI mode, I expect
something goes wrong in the depth of SMM BIOS operations?
Not much one can do from OS then..., still maybe something below helps.

> which lead me to think the problem was caused by some changes to the
> ACPI tables in the new version of the BIOS.  Booting the system with
> "acpi=off irqpoll" then allowed me to boot the system but the system
> would randomly drop off the network.
AFAIK it should still be possible to dump ACPI tables with acpidump?

If yes, best is you do this with the working and the not working BIOS,
open a bug on bugzilla.kernel.org and attach both.

Maybe pci=noacpi or noapic also helps instead of switching off whole
acpi?
Can you switch off Cstate/C1E/processor deeper sleep states in the new
BIOS? Just a guess, maybe it's that?

   Thomas