Re: [ACPI Code First ECN] Enumerate "Inclusive Linear Address Mode" memory-side caches

Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2024 13:20:06 -0700
> Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
> > I would prefer to just pile on more explicit clarifications to overcome that
> > instinct to map the word "Inclusive" to a multi-level cache attribute. Something
> > like "note, 'Inclusive Linear' address-mode not to be confused with
> > 'Inclusive/Exclusive' multi-level cache organization".
>
> Hmm. I'll go with 'maybe'. When you have to add a bunch of distinctions of
> a term that is applying to a 'cache' to say that you don't mean the standard
> meaning for caches, it feels like a new term is a better path.

Right, but that's the crux I am talking about the address organization and not
the cache policy, and it seems all too easy fall into the trap of considering
this to be a caching-policy attribute.

> Possibly as I suggest later a hyphen might avoid misreads.
> inclusive-linear address mode.

Yeah, that is a good idea.

> > > Whilst the CXL side of things (and I assume your hardware migration engine)
> > > don't provide a way to recover this, it would be possible to build
> > > a system that otherwise looked like you describe that did provide access
> > > to the tag bits and so wouldn't present the aliasing problem.
> >
> > Aliasing problem? All direct-mapped caches have aliases, it just happens that
> > this address mode allows direct-addressability of at least one alias.
>
> As I understand this the problem is you get address A in the error record,
> but that actually means any of A, A + N, A + 2N etc and the issue is you
> have no way of recovering which alias you have.
>
> Another implementation might have the same aliasing in the cache, but allow
> for establishing which one you have (the hardware inherently has to know that
> but I presume in this case doesn't provide a way to look it up - or if it
> does, then issue here is that the OS querying of the CXL device doesn't know
> about that interface?).  So I think the critical here is that information is
> not available, not that aliasing occurs.

The critical information is that the address range is extended by the cache
capacity compared to the typical case. Maybe "extended-linear" is the term I was
searching for last Friday when I could not think of a better bikeshed color?

The reason an "extended-linear" indicator is important is for the driver to
recognize that the CXL address range programmed into the decoders is only a
subset of the system-physical address ranges that may route traffic to CXL. So
when the memory-side-cache is in this "extended" mode there are more addresses
that may route to CXL.

Again, whether the address mode is extended-linear, or "non-extended"-linear the
math to find aliases is the same. Rather, Linux needs this indication to break
its assumptions around which system-physical-address ranges may decode to CXL,
and avoid misinterpretations of ACPI SRAT/HMAT and CEDT.CFMWS.

[..]
> > But it is relevant. If the near memory (cache memory) is 64GB and the far memory
> > (backing store) is 64GB then the SRAT range is 64GB (cache-excluded). With this
> > new mode the SRAT range is 128GB.
>
> Sure, but this is a cache, not normal memory so in what people normally expect
> from a memory-side cache (write through / write back etc) there is no
> reason to ever include it in SRAT. Hence it's not 'excluded' it just has
> nothing to do with SRAT which is about memory, not caches. I'm not
> arguing it is irrelevant in your case (where it clearly is because it is part
> of the memory), but it is irrelevant in for example a write-through cache.
> Saying it was excluded is implying a lot more that 'not-included' would for
> example.

Ok, that's starting to get through, and it seems to support the proposal to call
this address-mode "extended-linear".

[..]
> > It was an attempt to show precedent for why Linux needs to care about the memory
> > organization and how CFMWS does not achieve this description. That said, as this
> > is text that only appears in the justification for the ECN I do not mind
> > dropping it.
>
> I think it risks confusion given it's not directly relevant to this.

...to be deleted for the next rev.

> > > Other than telling us someone put it on a slide, that slide provides
> > > very little useful info!
> >
> > Hence this write-up in the ECN, felt it was better than nothing to include a
> > picture for reference.
>
> I think that left me more confused than anything ;)

...to be deleted for the next rev.

[..]
> > Sure, "Linear" implies direct-mapped since fully-set associative is a
> > non-linear arrangement.
>
> Sure, but you haven't introduced linear yet so this reads as more general
> than intended.  I'd call out explicitly that if your new mode is set then
> direct-mapped must also be set.

Will do.

[..]
> > I still disagree with the implication that "inclusion" is a property of the
> > cache and not the address layout for this ECN.
>
> It's an ECN about caches - the chance of misunderstanding is high.
> Maybe there isn't a better option, but it definitely makes me feel uncomfortable.
[..]
> Maybe hyphen will help? Inclusive-linear Address mode?
> to avoid reading this as separate adjectives as in that this is an
> 'inclusive' cache that has a 'linear address' mode?

Try this on for size:

* "When Address Mode is 1 'Extended-Linear' it indicates that the associated
   address range (SRAT.MemoryAffinityStructure.Length) is comprised of the
   backing store capacity extended by the cache capacity. It is arranged such
   that there are N directly addressable aliases of a given cacheline where N is
   the ratio of target memory proximity domain size and the memory side cache
   size. Where the N aliased addresses for a given cacheline all share the same
   result for the operation 'address modulo cache size'. This setting is only
   allowed when 'Cache Associativity' is 'Direct Map'."

[..]