Re: Issue with Upstream patch "PCI: vmd: Honor ACPI _OSC on PCIe features"

[+Cc linux-acpi]

Hi Nirmal,

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 11:37 PM Patel, Nirmal
<nirmal.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am writing this email to report an issue we are observing
> because of recent addition of a patch and need some help
> understanding it better.
>
> Issue:
> Drives are still present after performing hotplug in guest
> OS. We have tested with different combination of OSes, drives
> and Hypervisor. The issue is present across all the OSes and
> the following patch was identified as a root cause.
>
> This patch was added to avoid AER messages for Samsung
> drives when VMD is enabled.

To be more specific, the patch is to align with what other OSes do on
the VMD ports.

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git/commit/drivers/pci/controller/vmd.c?id=04b12ef163d10e348db664900ae7f611b83c7a0e
>
> I also compared the values of the parameters in the patch
> in Host and Guest OS. The parameters with different values
> in Host and Guest OS are:
>
> native_pcie_hotplug
> native_shpc_hotplug
> native_aer
> native_ltr
>
> I am not sure why "native_pcie_hotplug" is changed to 0 in guest.
> Isn't it OSC_ managed parameter? If that is the case, it should
> have same value in Host and Guest OS.

Assuming it's a VM and NVMe passthrough? I guess guest OS provide its
own _OSC value?

> Can you please provide your input or next step?

Please file a bug with both host and guest OS's `dmesg` and `lspci
-vv` attached.

> Is reverting the patch a good option?

Not really...

Kai-Heng