Re: REGRESSION: ThinkPad W530 dim backlight with recent changes introduced in Linux 6.1.24

Hi Русев Путин,

On 4/20/23 19:02, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> CC: Hans
>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 6:38 PM Русев Путин <rockeraliexpress@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Any reason why you didn't cc: the developers of that commit?
>> Sorry I did not realise I should have done that.
>>
>>> Do you also have this issue on the latest 6.3-rc release?
>> Yes I have tested it recently by installing the latest 6.3-rc7 kernel
>> , and I do encounter the same issue there. I have linked the
>> screenshots below referring the same.
>> Kernel 6.3.0-rc7 with 43% brightness - https://i.imgur.com/5LqsEJb.jpg
>>
>>> That's what this commit does, right?
>> According to the commit , it was pushed to fix backlight controls
>> which were broken on Lenovo Thinkpad W530 while using NVIDIA. It was
>> not intended to reduce the backlight intensity on W530. Backlight is
>> dimmer than before even when using the laptop in Intel iGPU mode.

This patch should not change the maximum brightness. But you may need
to adjust the brightness once after changing to a new kernel with
the patch because the range / brightness-curve may be different.

On the imgur URL your display brightness shows as being at 43%,
what happens if you use e.g. Fn + F9 to increase the brightness ?

I would expect you to be able to get back your old brightness level
then and this should persist over reboots after you have adjusted
it once.

If adjusting it does not help / work then we will need to revert
the patch causing this.

Regards,

Hans