Re: [bug report] arch_topology: Build cacheinfo from primary CPU

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 04:14:56PM +0100, Pierre Gondois wrote:
> Hello Dan,
> The 'levels' and 'split_levels' variables are initialized through their
> addresses when necessary, so I believe the warning can be ignored.

I don't understand what "initialized through their addresses when
necessary" means.  If you have CONFIG_ACPI_PPTT turned off as I do then
acpi_get_cache_info() is a no-op so it's not initializing anything.

> If you still want to have the variables initialized, please let me know and I
> will send a patch,

I feel like I have this kind of discussion a lot.  I don't know why
people don't want to initialize their variables to zero.

1) It doesn't affect runtime on modern distros because they use the
   CONFIG_ option to zero stack variables.

2) If they don't then syzbot will detect it at runtime.  It will probably
   take a year or two.  That will set off a bunch of emails.  Meanwhile
   you will have joined an exciting new start up and won't be around.
   No one else will remember how this code works.

regards,
dan carpenter