Re: controlling ACPI IRQ routing

On Friday 28 December 2007 01:06, Shaohua Li wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 21:29 -0800, Lee Howard wrote:
> > Shaohua Li wrote:
> > > In IOAPIC mode, interrupt priority isn't related with the pin (in your
> > > case, irq 16 or 19), but the vector of the pin. How vector of a pin is
> > > allocated is quite random. Usually driver who calls pci_enable_device
> > > earier will get a lower priority vector.
> >
> > You used the words "random" and "usually".  Could you elaborate on
> > the
> > randomness and when usually doesn't apply?
> >
> > So the means to prioritize a driver is to see that it gets installed
> > earlier?  There is no other mechanism to "reserve" pin vector
> > allocations for a specific device or driver?

> Currently vector is allocated when pci_enable_device is called. So which
> vector is allocated depends on how many drivers already called the
> routine. The first vector is 0x31, later higher priority (higher) vector
> will be allocated. In latest kernel, a vector of a irq could be variable
> when irq affinity is set, so it's much complex. There is no existing
> method to reserve a vector for a device.

1000 interrupts/second isn't a lot on modern hardware.
Indeed, many linux distros run with 1000 clock ticks/second today.

I don't understand why interrupt priority has anything to do
with what you are seeing.  To notice such a thing, you'd have
to have a lot of competing interrupts firing at the same time
and the messages queued up inside the LAPIC and the processor
spending a large % of its time in interrupt context.
(does top(1) say that you're running a large %sys?)

What is the total interrupt rate on the system when this
device is doing 1000/second?

Are there multiple cores on the system?  If so,
are the interrupts bound to certain cores or is
irqbalance running?

-Len

-