Re: [RFC] ACPI interrupt statistics

On Monday 19 November 2007 14:42, Carlos Corbacho wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 04:40:53 Len Brown wrote:
> > For your review and testing...
> >
> > The patch below exports interrupt counters from within ACPI
> > so that developers can better understand the cause of ACPI interrupts.
> >
> > My intent is to have something like this built in by default
> > starting in 2.6.25.  The version below applies to 2.6.21
> > and is originally based on a patch by Luming Yu.
>
> There have been a fair few changes since then, and this patch will probably
> need a fair bit of work.
>
> 1) Back in 2.6.21, acpi_subsys was defined as a 'struct subsystem' in
> acpi_bus.h - it's now a 'struct kset'

yep, that is what broke it.

> 2) Greg KH has an RFC patch lined up that does even more work in this area -
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/2

yeah, i noticed that too -- we already ran amuck of them with some
other patches in the acpi tree...  akpm patched it up in mm.

> 3) From my limited understanding of the area and intent, this patch seems to
> be a combination of kset work + the interrupt support - could it be split
> into two functionally separate patches to cover these instead?

the patch I sent to the list is actually a roll-up of a patch series,
so more patches will appear in the tree when it hits 2.6.25.

> (Basically, the only bit I'm really interested in is the
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(acpi_subsys), as acpi_subsys can currently only be used from
> built-in drivers, which is preventing me from converting wmi.c to a module).

hmm, okay, i didn't know that.
but feel free to pre-pend a non-wmi patch to your wmi series if you need it.

thanks,
-Len
-