Re: acpi_osi=!Linux work better than acpi_osi=Linux

On Friday 26 October 2007 21:13, 陳王展 wrote:
> Dear all,
> after trying all the combinations from en.opensuse.org/S2ram, the
> s2ram still hang or immediately shutdown the system.
> But, I try to pass the acpi_osi=!Linux to the kernel, it work well!
>
> the following settings is ok for me.
> s2ram --force  --vbe_post
>
> If you still need any further information, please contact to me.
>
> PS. I don't known how to set the gnome-power-manager to use the
> settings above, is there anyone can give me some advices?  I only can
> use root to use the s2ram command to STR. Thanks
> PS. s2disk is ok whether or not I pass the acpi_osi=Linux to the kernel.
>
> Best Regards,
> Peter Chen
>
> # dmidecode 2.9
> SMBIOS 2.4 present.
> 28 structures occupying 1179 bytes.
> Table at 0x7FEDF000.
>
> Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
> BIOS Information
>         Vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
>         Version: V1.06
>         Release Date: 07/11/2007
>         Address: 0xE5F80
>         Runtime Size: 106624 bytes
>         ROM Size: 1024 kB
>         Characteristics:
>                 ISA is supported
>                 PCI is supported
>                 PC Card (PCMCIA) is supported
>                 PNP is supported
>                 BIOS is upgradeable
>                 BIOS shadowing is allowed
>                 ESCD support is available
>                 Boot from CD is supported
>                 ACPI is supported
>                 USB legacy is supported
>                 AGP is supported
>                 BIOS boot specification is supported
>                 Targeted content distribution is supported
>
> Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
> System Information
>         Manufacturer: Acer
>         Product Name: Aspire 4920

Thanks for the note.

What release of Linux are you running?
acpi_osi=!Linux is the default starting in 2.6.23.

Any chance you can open a bug report and put the output of acpidump there?
I'd like to see what Acer is doing in this case.

thanks,
-Len
-