Re: [RFC] EC registers - Adding sysfs interface?

Alexey,

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 18:40:48 Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> I think it is better to do it in file system that allows seek(). So you
> could do with 1 file instead of 256 of them.

Fair enough.

> Carlos, I don't like the idea of 256 files. This will consume too many
> resources and will not bring much value. If you want to have something
> permanent, it should be slim and fast. If we talk about some
> debug/research/RE, do it as you like, but don't ask for submission into
> kernel :)

Two reasons:

1) Yes, the obvious reverse engineering (being well behaved when reading EC
registers, without doing strange things to ACPI when it also wants to call
the EC - I've had at least one report where going through /dev/ports on an
Acer laptop managed to cause the keyboard to lockup, until the system was
reset).

2) I'm toying with the idea of re-implementing acer_acpi as a userspace
application (which also requires EC access for certain functions - I don't
mind poking /dev/ports for the odd bit of reverse engineering, but for any
other kind of normal usage access to the EC, I really wouldn't want to be
poking in /dev/ports and tripping over the EC kernel driver).

-Carlos
--
E-Mail: carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: strangeworlds.co.uk