Re: Writing to the EC

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 00:55:37 +0000
Carlos Corbacho <carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2007 19:55:40 Erik Andr?n wrote:
> > To make a long story short, I've hacked up a kernel module that dumps
> > the EC
>
> For acer_acpi, we have a Perl script that can do this from userspace (but
> it should run on any other machine, since there's nothing Acer specific
> about dumping the EC registers).
>
> http://aceracpi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/acer_ec/acer_ec.pl
>
> ./acer_ec.pl regs
>
> (ACPI throws a few warnings in dmesg, because we're stepping on it's turf
> a bit here, but it's far simpler than having to write a kernel module
> just to get a few registers).

Awesome! I found the EC register for changing the backlight on my laptop using acer_ec.pl.

Register 0xE2 - Set screen brightness to <value>
                Min: 0x00 Max: unknown
                Windows Brightness key Min: 0x14 Max: 0x5F

Register 0xE3 - Fade out screen brightness from <value>

This is for HP dv6535ep laptop which should be similar to any other HP laptop in the 6xxx series.

I'll look at other backlight drivers if I can do something..

> -Carlos
> --
> E-Mail: carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Web: strangeworlds.co.uk
> GPG Key ID: 0x23EE722D
> -

Thanks!!!
- --
Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
CSE Student at UBI, Portugal
Gentoo Linux AMD64 Arch Tester
miknix@xxxxxxxxx
http://miknix.homelinux.com
PGP Pubkey online

- - -
The only thing that experience teaches us is that experience teaches us nothing.
		-- Andre Maurois (Emile Herzog)
-