Re: 2.6.24-rc1 acpi battery driver -> sysfs interface does not update correctly

On 28/10/2007, Alexey Starikovskiy <aystarik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, it seems to be related with ECDY variable of your DSDT.
> It is equal to 5 by default, but could be set to 0 or 3 if _OS string matches
> some magic length (guess Linux does not match).
> BST (method for reading state out of memory) may send notify event if ECDY
> is 1 (it will become this only uevent you see at very start).
> I do not see how battery driver could help in this situation.
> What you could do is try to play with acpi_os variable so that ECDY becomes 0.
> You also could patch your DSDT to have ECDY=0 always (or try to update BIOS, it might be done already).

I see. I'll see what I can do to get that fixed, although I think I'm
using the latest bios for this machine. I guess I'll play with the
acpi_os value.

I wonder how common this problem is. This laptop is quite old (Toshiba
Satellite 1110), but if this is a common issue I guess it makes sense
for either HAL or the battery driver to poll in certain cases (e.g.
poll if we haven't been receiving events/interrupts but we should be
charging/discharging or, if it ain't common, this could be a HAL
'quirk'). As long as users of the uevent interface are aware of this
possible issue I guess they could be responsible for polling - do you
think I should let the HAL guys know?

Ash
-