No halt after RTC wakeup

I am using Linux SuSE 9.2 64 bit with ASUS A8V motherboard and AMD Athlon. Every night when I am watching television RTC wakes up the machine at 21:55, at 22:00 cron runs a few programs and 'halt' puts the computer back to S5. Fine.

However, when I start working on my machine at say 21:00 the RTC raises a wakeup (I assume), cron runs its jobs at 22:00 and my program having noticed that someone is logged in does not halt the computer.

At 23:00 I wish to go to bed and press the power button (which normally works fine). A shutdown proces starts right up to 'The system will halt immediately' message. Then the display looses its signal, the keyboard appears to go dead BUT the machine does not switch to S5. Also the disk-access LED goes on. The only way I can stop is user the powerbutton override ( press > 4secs).

Would apprciates any ideas/suggestions how to convince the power button to behave normally.

Thanks,
Enno Fennema
-