Re: Brightness buttons broken on Toshiba Satellite Proc A100 in kernel 2.6.23 (Fedora8)

Hi,

> > after upgrading to Fedora 8 which brought kernel 2.6.23 with it I can no longer
> > use the brightness buttons (Fn+F6/F7) on my above mentioned laptop. Pressing
> > them generates F6 and F7 key events instead of ACPI events. This used to work
> > fine in Fedora 7's 2.6.22.9 kernel.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to debug this? Writing a value to
> > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness still works fine, so it's just a matter of
> > the key mapping.
> > I would try to debug this myself, if I just knew where to look at; so any
> > pointers in this direction would be appreciated, too.
> >

> Did you look here? I think all you need is keyboard quirks for those keys...
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/

Yeah, I did look there before posting. Unfortunately, my keys don't show
up in dmesg, so I can't add a quirk. Additionally, this used to work
(and actually still works with the F7 kernel 2.6.22.9-91 that's still
installed, which unfortunately has other issues when used under F8), so
I can't really believe that's only the key mapping that is wrong.

It somehow looks wrong to me that all Fn+Fx key presses are recognized
as Fx key presses (e.g. Fn+F6 gives scancode 64) instead of being sent
out as ACPI events.
A look at the decompiled dsdt seems to suggest that the ACPI table is
correct (well, that makes sense as it worked earlier ;-) ) (on keycode
0x40 send ACPI notify 0x87), but from where inside the kernel is this
evaluated?

Thanks,

Danny