Frequency scaling, Dell Inspiron 6000

Around the time of 2.6.17, I noticed that this machine would no longer scale it's frequency as it used to (i.e. it wouldn't at all, it would before). Furthermore, It reported an internal temperature somewhat near 10 centigrade higher than before, leading to increased fan noise.

I am uncertain of whether it used to scale using the speedstep-centrino module or another one, but found a remark on google on a similar problem stating that it appeared "...after speedstep-centrino had it's guts ripped out in 2.6.18..." (cited from memory).

The CPU of the machine is labeled as centrino compliant, but is in fact a Celeron-M, and hence does not support _Enhanced_ Speedstep. However, I clearly remember having frequency scaling working with Ubuntu kernel 2.6.15, but failing with Ubuntu 2.6.17 (possibly with some 2.6.18 code backported).

Venkatesh Pallipadi did some analysis of the BIOS, and posted a message to http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&thread.id=38979 , however no replies came forth. I am uncertain as to whether I upgraded the kernel or the bios first, but I think it was kernel first.

I am taking this matter up again, as I have given the machine to my gf, who complains about the fan noise, which I imagine will be less of a problem, if the cpu is frequency scaled.

I hope for anyone to take an interest and advise as to what info I should provide.

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

--
A motorcycle is a combination of pony, blow dryer, and vibrator - perfect for girls of all ages.
- Colin MacDonald