Re: Switching controller mode in software?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Florian Echtler wrote:
>> I have a notebook (Acer Aspire 5550) with the Intel ICH7 chipset (see
>> attached lspci output). Unfortunately, the SATA controller is stuck in
>> non-AHCI mode and the braindead BIOS doesn't allow me to change that. Is
>> it possible to change the controller to AHCI mode in software, e.g.
>> through ACPI?
> Unfortunately, nobody on linux-ide seemed to have an answer for this so
> far. Therefore, I am hoping that some of you ACPI guys can probably help me
> out..

ACPI guys don't, this has nothing to do with ACPI, but thinkpad guys can.
There is a patch out there to do just that (force-enable AHCI).  Try
googling for force AHCI or force-enable AHCI, etc.  Sorry, I don't have the
patch around.

And be aware that it is your problem if this croaks something should your
BIOS try to talk to the disks at poweroff/suspend/etc.

  Henrique Holschuh
-