Re: AML method concurrency

Bjorn Helgaas ?????:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 01:37:40 am Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
>> There is a "limited concurrency" in interpreter.
>> There is a "executor" semaphore(acpi_ex_{enter/exit}_interpreter), which
>> prevents generic concurrent execution of methods, but in the case of the
>> method blocking (mutex or sleep) it will be released and reacquired
>> after, thus allowing some other method to run during block.
>
> That's good information on the Intel CA implementation.  Do we know
> what other implementations do?
Essentially there is only one _other_ implementation and by some rumors
it was not allowing execution of methods in parallel at all, so
acpi_serialize was introduced to copy that behavior.

> Is there language in the ACPI spec itself that precludes concurrent
> execution?
This spec should be taken with some caution, because the _other_
implementation, on which BIOS vendors _do_ check their code, does not
follow every letter of it... And we could only guess how they choose to
deviate from it in every case.

> How exactly is the "acpi_serialize" Linux option useful?  If the
> ACPI_MTX_INTERPRETER mutex prevents concurrency already, what good
> is "acpi_serialize"?
Without acpi_serialize there is some degree of concurrency, as I
explained earlier. So acpi_serialize does not allow methods to execute
while some method is blocked.

-