brightness and fan states where there is no support?

I'm running a little experiment and generally messing around with my laptop.

My computer is a Uniwill M31EI. Intel ICH7 chipset.

The main thing I would like to do is have a way to programatically
find out what the current brightness and fan states are. If I could
have some way of setting them, too, that would be a bonus.

/proc/acpi/video/IGD/LCD/brightness says 'not supported' and the 'fan'
directory lists no files.

out of curiousity, I have tried writing a program that searches the
first half-megabyte or so of /dev/mem and looks for changes (and
no-changes) on demand so I could try and see if the brightness or fan
states are in there somewhere. I may be doing something wrong, but as
best as I can tell they are not.

Is it possible to figure out a way of accessing such information
without the aid of the manufacturer? I'm not afraid to get my hands
dirty, if this requires disassembling things and such. Where should I
be looking, how do developers find such information?

Thanks in advance.

- Pete
-