Re: Why is it so hard to (get) help on ACPI?

Dne četrtek 17 maj 2007 20:58 ste napisali:
> First of all, why do you want/need to change your DSDT?
> Second, patching DSDT is meant to be a last resort if any other
> method, like finding error in our implementation of ACPI or drivers.

Thank you for the reply.

I *think* I need it because I didn't find any better solution. On my Acer
Aspire 5022 for some time I've been getting APIC errors (most commonly "40
(40)") - which seem to cause system hangups, high cpu io-wait for (to me) no
apparent reasons, high temperature and disability to resume from a suspend.
This has been happening for quite a few kernel versions (gentoo kernel
flavour). I was told the APIC errors should go away with a BIOS upgrade - so
I did ...with no luck.

Then someone suggested trying the Linux-ready Firmware Developer Kit (
http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org ), on which my laptop('s BIOS) failed on 9
tests out of 21 (some of which even from DSDT). I can attach the results if
you find them useful.

Currently I run my system with the "noapic" kernel flag and with my DSDT
patch. It seems to be happier then before I did this, but I feel it's still
far from optimal.

> So "better" DSDT patch is patch of zero length -- don't touch it, fix
> ACPI or drivers.

I agree that a solution by someone who knows what they're doing is a lot
better then me (being a non-coder) trying to fiddle with ASL code. But it
just drove me nuts...

Btw, the patch I wrote eliminates 9 errors which seem to be connected with
memory.

But this still doesn't explain why it seems like I cannot make a user account
on the acpi.sf.net/dsdt page and why my previous e-mail did not arrive to the
list. Is the attachment size quota set to less then 1 MiB?

best regards and kudos for all your hard work on ACPI!

Matija Šuklje

--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
e-mail: matija.suklje@xxxxxxxxx