Re: Thinkpad suspend-to-disk regression

On 5/2/07, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 May 2007 19:28, Guilherme Salgado wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I use Ubuntu's default /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh, which already sets
> > > /sys/power/disk to shutdown before echoing "disk" to /sys/power/state.
> >
> > In that case it's impossible that the commit you have identified causes the
> > problem to happen.
> >
> > It doesn't even touch the 'shutdown' code path.
>
> Is it be possible that the change to /sys/power/disk is not doing what
> it should? I think that's likely to be the case because I got a bunch
> of people to try a kernel with the patch reverted and it fixed the
> problem they were having.
>
> The most recent comments at https://bugs.launchpad.net/+bugs/80893 are
> all confirming that the kernel at
> http://rookery.ubuntu.com/~kyle/kernels/salgado/2007-04-25/ fixes
> their problem.
>
> I'd be glad to do anything to further debug this if you can give me
> some pointers.

Well, the problem is that we have switched to the platform mode by default
and "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before the suspend should get the old
behavior back

Right, that's why I asked if it'd be possible that echoing "shutdown"
to /sys/power/disk could somehow be a no-op in this case.

Please try to apply the appended patch instead of reverting the entire commit
and see if the problem is still present.

That works just fine, yes. Are you willing to change the default back
to PM_DISK_SHUTDOWN or should we find out why "echo shutdown >
/sys/power/disk" is not having the same effect as changing the
default, as it should?

Cheers,
Guilherme
-