Re: suspend kills serial wacom tablet

On 4/13/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 20 February 2007 06:52, marco wrote:
> I have a thinkpad X41-tablet which uses the linuxwacom serial drivers.
> The tablet works perfectly when the laptop first boots, but does not work
> at all after resuming from sleep.  I posted to the linuxwacom list but
> think that the problem might be more general in how acpi resumes the
> serial ports.
>
> As suggested here:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_6.10_on_a_ThinkPad_X41_Tablet
> I have added a script to resume.d which calls the setserial command:
>   /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0x0200 irq 5 autoconfig

Using setserial to change port or IRQ usage is a good clue that the
kernel is doing something wrong.  Usually it's "we KNOW that ttyS0
lives at 0x3f8 and IRQ 4, so we'll ignore what ACPI is telling us."
But it sounds like this is a tangent and not related to your current
problem.

Can you post the dmesg log from a boot where the tablet works
correctly?  That will tell us exactly what kernel you're running
and how the kernel detected the serial port.  There've been some
serial port resume changes in the not-too-distant past, and I
don't know whether they're in the Ubuntu kernel yet.

It has nothing to do with changes to serial. Wacom driver for tablets
connected to serial ports lives completely in userspace (X) and is
completelyunaware that the box is coming out of sleep and that
conncted device needs to be reinitialized.

... Not to say that wacom with in-kernel portion of the driver (USB)
handles resuming well... But that should change when X starts
supporintg hotplug.

--
Dmitry
-