Re: serial port discovery on a motion computing tablet

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:14:19PM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
> I am evaluating a motion computing LE1600 tablet for possible use with
> linux using Centos 4.4 since that is what we use for several servers and
> had the installation media handy.  This device uses a TouchKO serial
> touchscreen that has been used by linux in the past but the issue I am
> facing is that the bios does not expose the serial ports.  I spoke with
> an engineer at TouchKO familiar with the LE1600 project an he told me I
> would have to access the serial port via acpi.  Hmm says I, I guess I
> have some reading to do.  DO after a day or so of trying to get up to
> speed, I feel I can ask a fairly decent question or two.

It sounds like it ought to be exposed via ACPIPNP. If you do cat
/sys/bus/pnp/devices/*/id, do any of them look plausibly linked to the
tablet device? If so, add the id to drivers/serial/8250_pnp.c, build it,
see if that binds and gives you a serial port and if so send a patch.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
-