Re: [repost] acpi on gentoo

Nigel wrote:
response inline

Luming Yu said on 11/3/2007 3:12 PM:
On 3/11/07, Nigel <nigels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Trying again to see if anyone had any other ideas.

In addition:
The acpid daemon is running.
The same machine when booted into windows will automatically go to
powersave mode when the power cable is removed.

what condition is your battery in? It makes sense if battery power is very low.
  Battery #1     : present
    Remaining capacity : 47822 mWh, 100.0%
    Design capacity    : 50760 mWh
    Last full capacity : 47822 mWh, 94.21% of design capacity
(similar output was included in the original post)

Regardless of battery condition should I not still get an event for removing and reinserting the power cable? (Obviously waiting for a minute or two in-between )

If battery is still full, then it sounds like a bug.  You need to test
the latest base kernel before entering a acpi bug into
bugzilla.kernel.org.

It works just fine on 2.6.19-r5 (gentoo)
Whilst is *may* have been a bug, the issue should no longer exist on a newer kernel.

One interesting though, if I do : modprobe button
then every 30 seconds or so I get:
received event "battery BAT1 00000080 00000001"

Even when i do rmmod button I still keep getting these events.
The only way to go back to "normal" behaviour is to reboot.

Any suggestions as to what might be my problem here ?

I guess your battery power level is low.

Nope, that's not it.
Don't really get your logic either. *Only* when a certain module is loaded and after that *only* a reboot stops these messages means that the battery is low?

</

So, I take it that my choice is limited to using the newer kernel ?
I would normally not hesitate to use the newer kernel but my employer's vpn client is limited to 2.6.17

Nigel.
-

2.6.19-rc5 has EC driver almost re-written (drivers/acpi/ec.c). Please check if putting it into 2.6.17 works/helps. You may also try to put an 2.6.20/21-rc version of the same file... It has even more changes.

Regards,
   Alex.
-