Re: breakage in current git-acpi

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:07:55 -0800 Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:59:02 -0500 Len Brown <lenb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Assuming there is exactly 1 event for each press,
> > then the kernel part of this is healthy.
> >
> > Assuming the failure is that the lid event fails
> > to trigger the STD after a few iterations,
> > and you did this after the failure started;
> > then it seems the failure isn't the event
> > at all, but perhaps the inability to re-invoke STD.
> >
> > What happens if you invoke STD manually with
> > # echo disk > /sys/power/state
>
> That works OK.
>
> > > 9:       1344   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
> > >
> > > it's increasing even while the machine is just sitting there.
> >
> > That's okay -- it is common -- particularly
> > laptops, which are likely to have a number of events ticking away.
> > thermal and fan control, and battery state, in particular.

> > > sony:/home/akpm# cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
> > > state:      closed
> > > sony:/home/akpm# cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
> > > state:      open
> > >
> > > all seems well.
> > >
> > > Stopping and restarting acpid doesn't fix it.
> >
> > Yeah, it must be suspend-to-disk itself refusing to suspend.
> > Probably when automatically invoked any errors or warnings
> > get sent to /dev/null.
> > Are there any dmesg associated with the failed suspend attempt?
>
> No messages come out when I shut the lid.
>
> Manually suspending works normally.
>
> > How many suspend cycles can you survive before git-acpi is applied?
>
> I tested up to five or six times once.

So..  I went from 2.6.20-mm1 back to 2.6.21-rc1 the other day and have
since been happily suspending via lid closure maybe ten times a day.

Any more suggestions about how to debug this?

How does the suspend happen, anyway?  Is it acpid's job to read the
LID0/state file and to then poke /sys/power/state?  Or is that linkage
in-kernel?
-