Re: acpi_find_bmc() and acpi_get_table()

Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Thursday 15 February 2007 22:15, Corey Minyard wrote:
Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Saturday 10 February 2007 21:27, Len Brown wrote:
acpi_find_bmc() appears to be searching for multiple SPMI tables in the RSDT and running
try_init_acpi() on each of them
until it doesn't find any more.
I can't remember why we look at the SPMI table(s) rather than
registering a normal ACPI (or even PNP) driver.  Unless we
need to poke the BMC very early, wouldn't it be better to
rely on the device description in the namespace?
For some strange reason the normal ACPI information does not
have all the information needed by the driver.  It doesn't have
register size or spacing information.

I guess that would be a defect in the way ACPI is being used,
wouldn't it?  A PNP ID should define the device programming
model, including things like register size and spacing.  It
sounds like somebody didn't define a new PNP ID when he should
have.  I wonder whether it's worth trying to fix this.

Yes, it is considered an ACPI fault. Could you please describe in detail, which registers miss the information? And probably your acpidump will help as well.
I don't have a machine with an ACPI description of the BMC. I'll copy the mailing list to see if anyone has an ACPI-described BMC.

I don't know that much about ACPI, so maybe that information is described somehow in a way the IPMI spec doesn't talk about directly, like in the _CRS object.

-Corey
-