Re: battery driver

On Friday 24 November 2006 12:27, Lebedev, Vladimir P wrote:
> Len,
>
> Attached patch contains new release of battery driver. The battery
> driver was restructured and it is ready now for future development: for
> example: porting from procfs to sysfs. Patch is based on 2.6.19-rc6-mm1.
> It was tested on few laptops on such functionality as: system
> suspend/resume + removing/inserting and so on. I suggest add patch to mm
> tree.

Same comment as for sbs.

It is not practical to review (and thus apply) this patch --
over 800 lines changed with no check-in comment about
what changed or why, no new comments in the code,
tons of whitespace changes, re-names, and apparently
code moving around inside the file.

This needs to be broken up in to a series of patches --
each making a single logical change.  each change needs
a check-in comment telling the reviewer exactly what to
expect when reading the patch.  cosmetic changes must
never be mixed in the same patch as functional changes --
else it makes the functional change harder to review
and backport.

I'd rather have a series of 80 simple patches of 10 lines
than a single patch of 800 lines.  That makes reviewing
easy, and it makes bisect and  isolation of regressions easy --
and that is what we need to optimize for.

 So download quilt or stgit and learn to use it.

I'm sorry I didn't see this patch when you sent it 8 weeks ago
so I could tell you this right away.  However, the good news
is that battery.c has seen only trivial changes since.

thanks,
-Len
-