Re: PROBLEM: CPU fan shuts down on load of fan.ko in kernel 2.6.18 and later

Hi,

On 1/15/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 15 January 2007 06:33, Karasyov, Konstantin A wrote:
> The fan device FAN1 defines object FN01 as its power resource. _STA
> method of FN01 always return 0x01, i.e. resource is on

Ugh.  Matthew, have you checked to see whether there are any
BIOS updates available for your box?

Ah - my machine is so ill-supported that I was afraid to try any
what-seemed-to-be-appropriate bios updates.

> But, _ON and _OFF methods set \_TZ.THRM.FNON object to 1 and 0
> respectively, so, I think, it could be used as value returned by _STA
> method. Attached patch for DSDT should solve the fan issue.

For reference, it does solve the fan issue - fan stays on during boot,
echo 0 and 3 to  /proc/acpi/fan/*/state cause the fan to switch on and
off respectively.

But we can't expect users to apply DSDT patches.  So if there's
no BIOS update available, don't we have to figure out a way to
work around it?  Maybe we could notice when the BIOS reports the
device is "on" even when we've turned it off, decide that the
BIOS is lying, and always use force_power_state.

From a position of extreme ignorance, a workaround does sound safer -
it's such a dangerous problem,

Best,

Matthew