Re: PROBLEM: CPU fan shuts down on load of fan.ko in kernel 2.6.18 and later

Matthew Brett wrote:
Hi,

Unfortunately, thermal zones defined in your DSDT doesn't contain any trip points except critical, but the fan control requires at least one active trip point (_ACx) to be defined.
Also, there are no fan devices (i.e. device with 'PNP0C0B' HID) defined.

This means, that no fan and minimal thermal control is available on your system through the ACPI functionality.

Hmm - I guess I had the idea that my ACPI was broken, but in this
case, the inadequacy of the ACPI means that the linux kernel had
become dangerous for the hardware, in a way that Windows is not.  Is
there any way of making it less likely that problems in the ACPI will
shut off the fan?

Matthew,
If BIOS does not export fan controls to OS via DSDT, it means that BIOS wants to control fans via its own means (hardware), this doesn't mean that your machine is at risk, it only means that you are not allowed to tamper with it...

Regards,
   Alex.
-