Re: sonypc with Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 12:33:20PM -0500, Len Brown wrote:
[...]
> With /proc/acpi/ going away, this raises the question of where sony_acpi should put stuff
> that is under development -- as unlike brightness -- it will not have a generic home in sysfs.

I was thinking the same and had 2 options in my mind:

1- debugfs (with proper documentation)

2- turn the SNC into a platform_device driver (as is msi-laptop) and
   eventually  create .config options to enable experimental/debug
   features.

> To do it right,  some analysis of the DSDT which has these vendor methods in them
> will be necessary.  It is conceivable that these methods can be hooked to the generic
> device power management support if the "real" devices in sysfs can be found.

In my DSDT[1] some of the methods (the audio card power setter: AZPW)
references a method in the real device (the same used in
_PS0 and _PS3 for the device) so it's actually a duplicate and the real
device already has the capability. I'd say all the others are playing
with random IO registers or in the EC0 operation region.

[1]: sz72b http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/DSDT.sz72b.dsl

other DSDTs I have:
http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/DSDT.ux50.dsl
http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/DSDT.gr7k.dsl

> A word of warning, which may be totally obvious here, is that the method names above
> are completely arbitrary choices on the part of a BIOS engineer at Sony, and the
> next BIOS engineer can make completely different choices for what names are used
> or what the same names do.

This is already partly happened, at least a known old method name has
mutated.

I'll send a first rush of patches as soon as I decide how to deal with
the different method names.
--
mattia
:wq!