Re: suspend to RAM on lifebook 7110

Hi Matthew,

thanks for explaining this, i am obviously not too deep into that
PCI bus stuff :-)

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:11:42AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:51:36AM +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
>
> > I thought that this should somehow go away by the PCI bus suspend/resume
> > methods that somewhen back got merged by Greg K-H.
>
> The kernel will only save and restore the standardised PCI configuration
> registers - anything else needs to be handled by the specific device
> driver. Unfortunately, in the graphics hardware case, the closest thing
> to that is the framebuffer driver. Which we don't tend to use.

So the question is: should we either
 - implement a minimal "graphics card PCI suspend resume" "driver" in the
   kernel that will do this even if no framebuffer is used, or
 - implement this as a workaround in userspace?

I mean - it is not rocket science to do it in s2ram, but it just seems
more correct (to me) to do it in the kernel, where the correct locking
and ordering is more or less guaranteed.

--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"