Re: acpi git versus x86_64 tree

> When will it be sent to Linus?
>
> I cannot feasibly carry this work, the outstanding x86_64 work, the
> outstanding i386 work and the outstanding ACPI work in -mm.
>
> As the acpi patch is the one which has disrupted the other trees I dropped
> that, so what little bit of testing gets donw in -mm won't be available.

Until the ACPICA update can survive for a few rounds of -mm
with no regressions reported, I'm not going to send it to Linus.

So removing it from -mm in favor of Andi's patches that may
be up-stream bound shortly was the right decision.

> > Nearly all of this series has been in -mm before.
> >
> > I do regret that there are more variable re-names and whitespace
> > cleanups in this batch than I'd prefer -- seems there is never
> > a good time to do those...
>
> There are ways of doing these things which don't cause such breakage.
> Whitespace cleanups go to the subsystem maintainer and NOT in the ACPI
> tree.  For renames, you can add back-compat defines in the acpi headers,
> send that and the rename patch to the subsytem maintainer and when it's all
> merged up, remove the back-compat stuff.

Agreed.
Perhaps in January some re-write can be done to make the series smaller.

For now I will remove the ACPICA update from my test branch
so that it doesn't block the unrelated patches that should go up now.
The ACPICA update will still be available on a dedicated acpica branch.

thanks,
-Len

-